8 Different Free Adirondack Chair Plans
In my opinion, you can’t have too many Adirondack chair plan varieties. This is a terrific project that is good for any skill level. In fact, this was the first large scale project that I tackled after getting back into woodworking in the early 1990’s.
The Adirondack chair is a classic item. It comes in many shapes and styles and provides a framework for you to experiment and test your design skills. The structure of the chair is rather basic, yet stylish. I have seen some creative people come up with some designs that have landed in the pages of the higher end outdoor furniture retailers. I am occasionally asked about plans for the “martini glass” Adirondack chair or the “Old ski” Adirondack chair. Let yourself experiment with this one.
Here are a number of different free Adirondack chair plans. The plans are not listed in any particular order. It is all a matter of your personal taste. You can reach the full wood plan by clicking on the picture. Enjoy!
- From Rockler Woodworking (you might have to provide an e-mail for this free plan)
- Ubuild Adirondack chair plans. This chair is more like a “chair” with 4 legs as opposed to the front to back style of most Adirondack chairs. This can be very useful since your typical Adirondack chair can be difficult to get in and out of if you are up in years, or have a bad back. A more elevate style (like the one below) is a great way to scale the chair so that it is functional for the person who will be using it. Stylish too.
- Hometime Adirondack and Patio Furniture. If you are a fan of DIY television shows, you will probably recognize the people building this one. These plans are from the people at Hometime. They also provide plans for a nice side table and footstool.
- Buildeasy.com Adirondack chair plan
- Amateur Woodworker Adirondack chair plans
- A double Adirondack Chair (Loveseat) from Buildeasy
- This is a classic style Adirondack from Popular Mechanics. As expected these plans are very well laid out with a great exploded view of the project.
- This is a direct download of a chair known as Jake’s Chair. This plan has been around for a while and has always been free. You will probably find it in many places, but we felt that we couldn’t write about free Adirondack chair plans without including “Jake’s Chair”. When you click on the image, you will be prompted to download the free plan file.
Don’t be afraid to mix and match some of your favorite features from all of the chair designs above. You might like the concave back of one of the chairs, but prefer the scalloped look of another. You might prefer a straight arm to the curved arm. Come up with your own plan. There isn’t any right or wrong answer. If you do come up with your own, send us a picture to post here.