Remember lincoln logs? Of course you do. Well, if you are waxing nostolgic, you can build your own set of logs and a project that can be used for a toy log cabin. This project is great for a child’s toy, a holiday decoration, or a decorative building for a train set.
The project is one that is not too difficult and is from the people who make the Shopsmith Woodworking System.
- 1-notch log 3/4 x 3/4 / 1-1/2
- 2-notch log 3/4 x 3/4 / 4-1/2
- 3-notch log 3/4 x 3/4 / 7-1/2
- 4-notch log 3/4 x 3/4 / 10-1/2
- 5-notch log 3/4 x 3/4 / 13-1/2
- 6-notch log 3/4 x 3/4 / 16-1/2
- Other lengths add 3″ per notch
- Roof Trusses 3/4 x 1-3/4 x 6
- Chimney 3/4 x 1-3/8 x 1-3/8
- Roof Slats 1/8 x 3/4 x (variable lengths)
With this kind of project, there is no limit to the size of the project. You could make enough logs to build a small village. Working with a smaller project is a great way to hone your woodworking skills. As the scale of a project shrinks, the margin of error shrinks with it.
Good luck and have fun!